Wednesday 23rd April 2014- R.I.P Kevin? & My first night as a drummer

I think that Kevin might be dead. He’s lost another leg and is thin. When I carefully unhooked him from where he was hanging, he didn’t move, in a floppy way. I put him on some leaves and tried feeding him a piece of leaf sprayed with water, but he didn’t stir. I think his eyes were closed.
He may not be dead, and it’s always hard to tell with stick insects. He’s at the grand old age of a year and a few months. If a stick insect may be dead, I usually give them a week just to make sure.

Today felt like the most exciting day of my life so far. I’ve been practicing like mad to learn a song sent to me, by a band looking for a drummer. Their music is really good- if I heard that song on the radio, I would like it! I would love to play music with them.
I practiced, waited, and angsted. What if they didn’t want me if my playing was rubbish tonight? What if they were way beyond my level anyway? They might not like me! I smile too much to be edgy and cool! What if my Auditory Processing difficulties pick tonight to go nuts and I can’t hear them properly. Will they think I’m stupid or not interested in them? The list of worries and what ifs? went on and on.
I could have cycled to the train station, but I was so excited I thought I might get taken out by traffic. My mum gave me a lift to the station.
I had never been so excited about a musical event, ever.
After getting off the train and texting a description of myself (purple/pink jacket, green backpack, probably smiling), a car pulled up and two guys got out and waved, asking if I was Jenny.
In the car we chatted. They were really nice and told me not to be nervous. They were the bandleader/ lead guitarist, whose Gumtree advert I replied to, and the rhythm guitarist. The small studio they drove to was amazing. Posters of famous bands on the walls, a padded ceiling, sound-absorbing boards on the walls, a soundboard hanging on one wall, music equipment everywhere. And there was a drum kit. The cymbals and hi hats were beautiful. Shimmering sounds. The crash had some almost silvery white tones, which is unusual.
Altogether there were five of us, and I wasn’t the only girl there! They were all really fun, kind cheery people who made me feel welcome.
All set up, we started with the piece I’d learned by ear and they’d rehearsed previously. Having people to play with, and give a backing to was amazing. I loved being an important part of the music, keeping the beat and playing those pretty cymbals. The bass drum slid forward a bit on the rug, and the singer shoved it back for me in the middle of the song.
Hearing vocal cues was difficult. Hearing most of what they said was hard, with the background sounds of instruments and a brain only wanting to think about drumming. But I listened hard and picked up when I was meant to come in and the words relating to different parts of the song, something I could never have managed in the past.
Their music was even better than in the recording. They’re all really good musicians. I have never had so much fun playing music in my life, and just went for it.
The bandleader said I did brilliant! They played some other songs, both of which were really good, and I did my best with adding some drums. At the end, they gave me a lift home.
Dozing off in bed that night, I got a text with a picture of me and the bandleader in front of a Led Zeppelin poster at the studio, saying well done and see you next week. I’m in a band!
Getting to sleep was quite difficult.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s